Numquid gratiam: Be grateful
I just want to right a post about gratitude. If your honest with yourself, you probably focus a lot on the negative aspects in your life. Things like worrying about school, grades, relationships; stressing about sports, workouts, weight; anxious about life. It's a trap so easy to fall into: negativity propegates negativity in a scary spiraling cycle.
"A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy. "It's a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego." He continued, "The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."
"Which wolf will win?"
The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."
Isn't that the truth? What we think, how we act, what we do continually, becomes habitual. Think about that if you've ever had an addiction. Think about that with drugs. Think about that with eating disorders. Think about that with body image. Think about that with pornography. Think about that with alcohol. Even with school, if you think you'll do bad, you probably will. If you think you will do well, you're more apt to prepare and therefore do well. What you think about consistently is what you start to believe, what consumes you.
So I just want to write a blog about gratitude. Because I feel that this world needs to appreciate more of what we have, rather than focus on what we don't have.
Thankfulness comes in many forms, but I wanted to do something a little unique for my list of gratitude. I've decided to think of people in my life that have really made an impact for a variety of reasons. People I love, people I admire, people who have helped me become who I am and people who are incredible, interesting, and aren't told enough how grateful I am to know them. So here's an ambiguous list of the thankfulness I have from people in my life:
The friend that I don't see for years, but when we are together it's like nothing changed; that no matter where we are in life, you always understand me and I know I can tell you anything without judgement or fear
The friend who messages me CRAZY LONG posts about life, you have no idea how much I enjoy hearing your life proceeding and in turn giving opinion on the ongoings of my life
The friend who texts at random times, random hours, random days who simply wants to know how I'm doing. Who sends me inspirational videos and doesn't bat an eye when I'm honest with them, but simply listens without need to fix anything
The friend who brought me blueberries for a present, simply because it made me realize that they paid attention. Probably one of the most meaningful presents because it was not about getting a gift, but realizing that they knew me and what I liked/didn't like. Gifts are great like that, it's not the size or price, but about the thought behind the action
The friend who I know played a strong role in helping me be hired for RHD because he believed I could do it. For helping me get one of the jobs I enjoyed the most, for listening to me when I was hurting, for giving me inspiration and appreciation endlessly
The friend who is my rock. Who I can tell anything to and everything to. Who has known me for so long. Who, after having an intense conversation with them, simply smiled and said, "This is the Diana I've been waiting to see. This girl is real." For encouraging me in Christ, for loving me in Christ, and for giving me many years of sleepovers, ridiculous dance videos, skinny dipping nights at the cabin, underwear from Paris (of course I still have it, it's Paris!), and everything in-between
For the friend who will laugh with me, cry with me, relentlessly make fun of my camping hair. For struggling with me, fearing the unknown, not judging my nights where I consumed enough fiber to kill horse, for loving and sharing my addiction to coffee shops, for respecting my "positive zone" in my room an instead going to your room for negative thinking, for fighting with me and eventually giving in and letting me clean your kitchen, and everything in-between. You are one of a kind
For my friend who will Skype with me on a moments notice, taught me to appreciate my body, gave me the opportunity to do Zumba even though we looked ridiculous. Who gave me new perspectives on relationships, spoke her mind regardless of what society would think, and who gives me constant encouragement that good things can happen, you just have to go out and take hold of them
For the girl who I've only met once, but has messaged me and has given me the chance to encourage and be encouraged in the challenges we both face in life
For the guy who took charge when he heard I was having stomach issues and emailed me a whole eating plan and workout. Although I don't know you well, your thoughtfulness amazes me
For the friend who has sat with me this semester, not judging the fact that my apparel and desire to go out and have fun have fallen desperately. Who has sat in my room and really known me with a perception that is unlike any other. Who has given me faith that balance is possible, that acceptance is possible, and that life is a roller coaster but we have to enjoy the ride
For the wonderful woman who in reality I don't know very well, but feel like I've known her forever. For the letters she sent me that have helped me get thorough this semester; for the books that have meant so much to me; and for making me feel so incredibly loved an accepted when I've felt like no one would understand
For the barista who always smiles at me and knows exactly how to make my drink ;)
For the janitor who painted the walls of the school for wishing me a good morning and making the school beautiful. For having a smile on your face and an attitude full of sunshine
For the person I can call up at any hour in the night, having no modesty in our conversations and being totally open to talk about anything
For the friend that will literally pick me up and make me smile, who will jump out and scare me, who's hugs are so tight I almost can't breathe, who's sole presence lights up the room
For the stranger who's music has gotten me through so many nights. Who's beauty and voice has comforted me, given me courage, and helped me discover my inner strength and courage
For the friend who doesn't judge me when all I want to do is walk around the house in my underwear and a t-shirt. Who always wants to do something and forgives me when all I want to do is study
For the woman who gave me such great push for Northland and was the main reason I could afford it financially
For the man who shares my birthday and has been like a grandpa to me
For the friend who has confided in me her struggles of depression, who helped me through a summer of hardship, who has shown her faith in Christ through her words and actions
For the people who really do want to help the world be a better place
I encourage you to make your own list of things or people you are thankful for. Be as specific as you like; sometimes the memories itself can bring back emotions so strong that you can't help but smile. Be thankful for what you're given.
Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever on how we experience life and the world.
"A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy. "It's a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego." He continued, "The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."
"Which wolf will win?"
The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."
Isn't that the truth? What we think, how we act, what we do continually, becomes habitual. Think about that if you've ever had an addiction. Think about that with drugs. Think about that with eating disorders. Think about that with body image. Think about that with pornography. Think about that with alcohol. Even with school, if you think you'll do bad, you probably will. If you think you will do well, you're more apt to prepare and therefore do well. What you think about consistently is what you start to believe, what consumes you.
So I just want to write a blog about gratitude. Because I feel that this world needs to appreciate more of what we have, rather than focus on what we don't have.
Thankfulness comes in many forms, but I wanted to do something a little unique for my list of gratitude. I've decided to think of people in my life that have really made an impact for a variety of reasons. People I love, people I admire, people who have helped me become who I am and people who are incredible, interesting, and aren't told enough how grateful I am to know them. So here's an ambiguous list of the thankfulness I have from people in my life:
The friend that I don't see for years, but when we are together it's like nothing changed; that no matter where we are in life, you always understand me and I know I can tell you anything without judgement or fear
The friend who messages me CRAZY LONG posts about life, you have no idea how much I enjoy hearing your life proceeding and in turn giving opinion on the ongoings of my life
The friend who texts at random times, random hours, random days who simply wants to know how I'm doing. Who sends me inspirational videos and doesn't bat an eye when I'm honest with them, but simply listens without need to fix anything
The friend who brought me blueberries for a present, simply because it made me realize that they paid attention. Probably one of the most meaningful presents because it was not about getting a gift, but realizing that they knew me and what I liked/didn't like. Gifts are great like that, it's not the size or price, but about the thought behind the action
The friend who I know played a strong role in helping me be hired for RHD because he believed I could do it. For helping me get one of the jobs I enjoyed the most, for listening to me when I was hurting, for giving me inspiration and appreciation endlessly
The friend who is my rock. Who I can tell anything to and everything to. Who has known me for so long. Who, after having an intense conversation with them, simply smiled and said, "This is the Diana I've been waiting to see. This girl is real." For encouraging me in Christ, for loving me in Christ, and for giving me many years of sleepovers, ridiculous dance videos, skinny dipping nights at the cabin, underwear from Paris (of course I still have it, it's Paris!), and everything in-between
For the friend who will laugh with me, cry with me, relentlessly make fun of my camping hair. For struggling with me, fearing the unknown, not judging my nights where I consumed enough fiber to kill horse, for loving and sharing my addiction to coffee shops, for respecting my "positive zone" in my room an instead going to your room for negative thinking, for fighting with me and eventually giving in and letting me clean your kitchen, and everything in-between. You are one of a kind
For my friend who will Skype with me on a moments notice, taught me to appreciate my body, gave me the opportunity to do Zumba even though we looked ridiculous. Who gave me new perspectives on relationships, spoke her mind regardless of what society would think, and who gives me constant encouragement that good things can happen, you just have to go out and take hold of them
For the girl who I've only met once, but has messaged me and has given me the chance to encourage and be encouraged in the challenges we both face in life
For the guy who took charge when he heard I was having stomach issues and emailed me a whole eating plan and workout. Although I don't know you well, your thoughtfulness amazes me
For the friend who has sat with me this semester, not judging the fact that my apparel and desire to go out and have fun have fallen desperately. Who has sat in my room and really known me with a perception that is unlike any other. Who has given me faith that balance is possible, that acceptance is possible, and that life is a roller coaster but we have to enjoy the ride
For the wonderful woman who in reality I don't know very well, but feel like I've known her forever. For the letters she sent me that have helped me get thorough this semester; for the books that have meant so much to me; and for making me feel so incredibly loved an accepted when I've felt like no one would understand
For the barista who always smiles at me and knows exactly how to make my drink ;)
For the janitor who painted the walls of the school for wishing me a good morning and making the school beautiful. For having a smile on your face and an attitude full of sunshine
For the person I can call up at any hour in the night, having no modesty in our conversations and being totally open to talk about anything
For the friend that will literally pick me up and make me smile, who will jump out and scare me, who's hugs are so tight I almost can't breathe, who's sole presence lights up the room
For the stranger who's music has gotten me through so many nights. Who's beauty and voice has comforted me, given me courage, and helped me discover my inner strength and courage
For the friend who doesn't judge me when all I want to do is walk around the house in my underwear and a t-shirt. Who always wants to do something and forgives me when all I want to do is study
For the woman who gave me such great push for Northland and was the main reason I could afford it financially
For the man who shares my birthday and has been like a grandpa to me
For the friend who has confided in me her struggles of depression, who helped me through a summer of hardship, who has shown her faith in Christ through her words and actions
For the people who really do want to help the world be a better place
I encourage you to make your own list of things or people you are thankful for. Be as specific as you like; sometimes the memories itself can bring back emotions so strong that you can't help but smile. Be thankful for what you're given.
Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever on how we experience life and the world.
Comments
Post a Comment