You don't go in water if you can't swim, and you can't learn to swim if you don't go in water
I think I might know what's wrong.
Actually, my grandpa solved it for me, or at least suggested the idea.
I only see my grandpa about once a year, sometimes less. I guess that's what happens in divorce, it doesn't just affect two people, it affects everyone. I would normally go as far to say that's what happens in broken families, but I don't think "broken" is the appropriate word to describe the non-traditional families. People make choices, but that doesn't make the entire family broken, because that's not fair to put that upon everyone. Just because two people made decisions, it doesn't mean that the children, or extended families, are now 'broken'. Sometimes broken indicates that it can be fixed, and that's not always the case. What's broken in these families is the hearts it affects.
Anyway, so whenever I get the chance to see my grandpa, he tries to fit in as much as possible in the short time we spend. Our conversations are a mix of him pouring his 'grandpa wisdom' on me, teasing me on just about everything, telling stories of his childhood or his family, and playing a mix of games, sightseeing, etc. when we're together. He's a fantastic cook, and always makes a great meal for us. A week or so ago I spent two days with him (he lives far away). He made sloppy joes for dinner, which his recipe is MY FAVORITE. Now for those of you who don't know me well, to give you some background, I'm not a girl who eats much meat. Like, at all. I never grew up with it much, so I guess it's just something I'm not accustom to. However, I'm starting to really like it. I remember someone cooked me spaghetti with meat in the sauce (in the sauce!) and I thought that was the most wonderful thing ever. My dad grew up in a home where meat and potatoes was a usual meal, and he told me one of the main things they ate was beans and meat--which sounds like the greatest thing ever! Okay, so back to grandpa. After dinner that night, I was pretty sick. And the whole next day. Basically, the entire time I was there, I was sick. The third day we got up to leave, and I still wasn't ready for food because I had too much fear it would hurt my stomach. So he didn't get the greatest impression of how I was doing, but that happens sometimes.
A couple nights ago he called up to talk to my mom. During their conversation, he asked how I was doing, and gave his thoughts on what it could be. To be rather vague, he basically thought my stomach was shutting down. Not in the sense of 'oh my gosh I'm dying' but in the sense that when you go extended periods of time without eating, your stomach can change. It's a process to then retrain your stomach to learn to be normal again. Granted, this was just his opinion, and he has no medical degree, but I tend to lean toward the truth in his answer. I understand where he is coming from. And I believe he might be right.
Today I read something that struck me to be powerful. It said something along the lines of:
When you feel pain, your body is trying to tell you something. Sometimes God works through pain to teach you a message you needed to hear, but wouldn't listen to. Sometimes there's a road block in your path because the consequence to continue will lead to destruction. Sometimes you have to be humbled in pain to realize you need to learn how to live and love again.
Wow. This makes so much sense to me. In my life. [side note-not all pain is teaching you something, sometimes pain happens as a part of life, and I'm so sorry you feel that, it's not your fault. Learn to look for the good in it, if for no other reason than so it won't destroy you]. Many people have talked to me about eating habits and the like, and I'll listen but to be completely honest, I don't feel like it really ever hit home. There were only two people ever that have had a conversation with me that made me think, 'Wow, maybe they're actually right,' partially because I had so much trust in them, and partially because their opinion genuinely mattered to me. Unfortunately, the effect of these conversations dimmed with time as they dimmed from me. For me though, I realized looking over my life, I'm not the same person I used to be. And that's good, but there are things I miss and would love to flourish in again. My faith is like a rollercoaster sometimes, and at a high point in my faith, I realized it was during that time that I made the most friendships, accepted life for what it was yet fought for what I wanted it to be, and was the happiest. I have intentionally tried to be more aware of how I treat others and learned to give thanks throughout each day, because I feel the blessings of a healthy moment, love the warmth of the sun as it gives me peace, and smile at the biker riding by as they embrace a wonderful summer day.
Do you feel like you're life or your faith is a rollercoaster sometimes? What do you do in those times? How do you cope, learn to become balanced again, and find your peace? How do you find your focus again? What do you to feel wonderful again?
I went for a run today as well, something I haven't done in a very long time. And I had forgotten how wonderful it feels to run. I also played tennis for the first time in years today. And I had forgotten how wonderful it feels to play.
Don't be so caught up in yourself that you forget to laugh.
Don't be so caught up in your fears that you forget to live.
Don't be so caught up in your feelings that you forget to love.
I had read a statement from C.S. Lewis, talking about whether or not Christianity and faith were predestined or not. He had responded with 'You don't go in the water if you can't swim, and you can't learn to swim if you don't go in the water.'
Isn't that so much like life? If you don't take a chance with something, you will never know the outcome. So what is holding you back in life? What is on your mind that you're afraid to say, do, be? Will you let your fear of failing hold you back from trying? You can't succeed if you don't take a chance, and you can't take a chance if you let fear rule your life.
Take a look at your self. Take a look at your life. Take a look at your soul. Are you genuinely full of joy? Or do you feel pain, regret, or uncertainty in some area of your life? Are you afraid? Really look into these things, because the only way to grow and overcome is to acknowledge they are real and true emotions. Make an effort to see if there's something in your life you need to fix, or some reason for your dilemmas, because maybe, just maybe, there's a reason. A lesson. A direction.
In the mean time, take that chance in your life. Say that thing that you've always wanted to but have been too afraid. Take that risk that you were told was impossible. Question everything. Seek for answers in everything. When you seek, you will find Him. Do something incredible.
You won't learn to swim if you don't go in the water.
Actually, my grandpa solved it for me, or at least suggested the idea.
I only see my grandpa about once a year, sometimes less. I guess that's what happens in divorce, it doesn't just affect two people, it affects everyone. I would normally go as far to say that's what happens in broken families, but I don't think "broken" is the appropriate word to describe the non-traditional families. People make choices, but that doesn't make the entire family broken, because that's not fair to put that upon everyone. Just because two people made decisions, it doesn't mean that the children, or extended families, are now 'broken'. Sometimes broken indicates that it can be fixed, and that's not always the case. What's broken in these families is the hearts it affects.
Anyway, so whenever I get the chance to see my grandpa, he tries to fit in as much as possible in the short time we spend. Our conversations are a mix of him pouring his 'grandpa wisdom' on me, teasing me on just about everything, telling stories of his childhood or his family, and playing a mix of games, sightseeing, etc. when we're together. He's a fantastic cook, and always makes a great meal for us. A week or so ago I spent two days with him (he lives far away). He made sloppy joes for dinner, which his recipe is MY FAVORITE. Now for those of you who don't know me well, to give you some background, I'm not a girl who eats much meat. Like, at all. I never grew up with it much, so I guess it's just something I'm not accustom to. However, I'm starting to really like it. I remember someone cooked me spaghetti with meat in the sauce (in the sauce!) and I thought that was the most wonderful thing ever. My dad grew up in a home where meat and potatoes was a usual meal, and he told me one of the main things they ate was beans and meat--which sounds like the greatest thing ever! Okay, so back to grandpa. After dinner that night, I was pretty sick. And the whole next day. Basically, the entire time I was there, I was sick. The third day we got up to leave, and I still wasn't ready for food because I had too much fear it would hurt my stomach. So he didn't get the greatest impression of how I was doing, but that happens sometimes.
A couple nights ago he called up to talk to my mom. During their conversation, he asked how I was doing, and gave his thoughts on what it could be. To be rather vague, he basically thought my stomach was shutting down. Not in the sense of 'oh my gosh I'm dying' but in the sense that when you go extended periods of time without eating, your stomach can change. It's a process to then retrain your stomach to learn to be normal again. Granted, this was just his opinion, and he has no medical degree, but I tend to lean toward the truth in his answer. I understand where he is coming from. And I believe he might be right.
Today I read something that struck me to be powerful. It said something along the lines of:
When you feel pain, your body is trying to tell you something. Sometimes God works through pain to teach you a message you needed to hear, but wouldn't listen to. Sometimes there's a road block in your path because the consequence to continue will lead to destruction. Sometimes you have to be humbled in pain to realize you need to learn how to live and love again.
Wow. This makes so much sense to me. In my life. [side note-not all pain is teaching you something, sometimes pain happens as a part of life, and I'm so sorry you feel that, it's not your fault. Learn to look for the good in it, if for no other reason than so it won't destroy you]. Many people have talked to me about eating habits and the like, and I'll listen but to be completely honest, I don't feel like it really ever hit home. There were only two people ever that have had a conversation with me that made me think, 'Wow, maybe they're actually right,' partially because I had so much trust in them, and partially because their opinion genuinely mattered to me. Unfortunately, the effect of these conversations dimmed with time as they dimmed from me. For me though, I realized looking over my life, I'm not the same person I used to be. And that's good, but there are things I miss and would love to flourish in again. My faith is like a rollercoaster sometimes, and at a high point in my faith, I realized it was during that time that I made the most friendships, accepted life for what it was yet fought for what I wanted it to be, and was the happiest. I have intentionally tried to be more aware of how I treat others and learned to give thanks throughout each day, because I feel the blessings of a healthy moment, love the warmth of the sun as it gives me peace, and smile at the biker riding by as they embrace a wonderful summer day.
Do you feel like you're life or your faith is a rollercoaster sometimes? What do you do in those times? How do you cope, learn to become balanced again, and find your peace? How do you find your focus again? What do you to feel wonderful again?
I went for a run today as well, something I haven't done in a very long time. And I had forgotten how wonderful it feels to run. I also played tennis for the first time in years today. And I had forgotten how wonderful it feels to play.
Don't be so caught up in yourself that you forget to laugh.
Don't be so caught up in your fears that you forget to live.
Don't be so caught up in your feelings that you forget to love.
I had read a statement from C.S. Lewis, talking about whether or not Christianity and faith were predestined or not. He had responded with 'You don't go in the water if you can't swim, and you can't learn to swim if you don't go in the water.'
Isn't that so much like life? If you don't take a chance with something, you will never know the outcome. So what is holding you back in life? What is on your mind that you're afraid to say, do, be? Will you let your fear of failing hold you back from trying? You can't succeed if you don't take a chance, and you can't take a chance if you let fear rule your life.
Take a look at your self. Take a look at your life. Take a look at your soul. Are you genuinely full of joy? Or do you feel pain, regret, or uncertainty in some area of your life? Are you afraid? Really look into these things, because the only way to grow and overcome is to acknowledge they are real and true emotions. Make an effort to see if there's something in your life you need to fix, or some reason for your dilemmas, because maybe, just maybe, there's a reason. A lesson. A direction.
In the mean time, take that chance in your life. Say that thing that you've always wanted to but have been too afraid. Take that risk that you were told was impossible. Question everything. Seek for answers in everything. When you seek, you will find Him. Do something incredible.
You won't learn to swim if you don't go in the water.
Thank you for posting this beautiful message. As far as what your grandpa says, my thoughts are that he is right and your metabolism might be slowing down. I'm not a professional though, so who knows. I love the quote you posted. Please keep writing and posting if you can. You are so inspiring, and your words have so much truth.
ReplyDelete