Where Your Distance Lies

I've had the jitters lately, anticipating a test I have coming up.  It's one of those times where the results of this test could play a significant role in being accepted or declined in a program I'm really excited about.  For months I've been studying, and I know if anyone asks, I'll say that I should have, could have studied more.  I've always been the type of person to study like crazy for exams at school. It wasn't about just "doing okay" on the exam; it was about knowing all of the answer.  Being able to walk out confidently believing I got an A.  Not that I needed a 100%, because that didn't happen always, but just being able to know that I prepared myself as much as I could, and nothing more could be done about my grade.  That I earned it, I deserved it, and I worked for it.  I did my best.

It's funny because for standardized tests, I've taken a very lackadaisical approach to studying.  Both the ACT and MCAT I didn't prepare the way I knew I should.  Sure I'd get the books, skim them over, try to focus on quick memorization, but it was never a thorough amount.  Until now.  I've done more for this standardized test than others, and yet I still am so nervous!  Because it's such a big deal.  It could play a roll in my future.  Have I stated that enough?

But then I think, do I really think this test is bigger than our God?

Do I really think that heartbreak is bigger than our God?

Do I really think that rejection letter is bigger than our God?

Do I really think that issue is bigger than my God?


Do I really think I can confine God to my own finite perception of Him?


We get so caught up in our own daily lives, our own worries about what we need to do with our future, that we forget about just HOW BIG our God is.

Then I start to wonder.....why am I here so consumed with my life?   Shouldn't I be out shaking the world?

Why am I not in KwaZulu-Natal setting up soup kitchens?
Why am I not in Haiti serving in the blood banks and working to get more set up?

Why is it I still think of the homeless woman I saw the last time I was in Washington D.C.?  Why didn't I at least give her my hair tie for her to hold her hair back, to feel pretty, to know she was loved?  Why is it, that I was 10 years old when I saw her, and yet I still ache for her?

Why didn't I roll down the window and give the man standing on the street corner asking for work a sandwich despite the people in the car telling me it wasn't safe?  When do we put risk ahead of love?  When do we know to love despite our fear?

Why is it we hold so tightly to our money in the name of safety when we should be feeding the poor in the name of God?

Every time I wonder why I'm not far across the ocean changing the world, I am reminded of what a beautiful woman once told me: she thought she needed to be overseas to be spreading the news of God.  She was ready to be sent off, far away in His name.

He needed her right where she was.  

She realized her calling was to love the people around her, and boy did the Lord use her to shake more lives than she thought possible.

So maybe we don't have to travel across the world to make a difference.  Maybe, just maybe, there's a different type of distance we need to travel.

Maybe we have to go far with our arms to reach out in praise.

Maybe we have to go far with our hands to care for the sick.

Maybe we have to go far with our hearts to empathize with the burdened.

Maybe we have to go far with our legs to go and spend time with those alone.

Maybe we have to go far with our hearts to give generously to those we cannot reach.

Maybe the distance we should be paying attention to is our own relationship with God.

So when the distances in our lives seem too far to travel, remember we have a bigger God.


Journey to God starts with one small step at a time.  He doesn't expect you to run the mile but HE promises to give you the strength to go the distance.  [Azgraybebly Josland]

Where does your distance lie?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversations from a graveyard

A Passion Like Paul

Deprecation