The story of my life

The story of my life
I'll take her home
I'll drive all night, to keep her warm
And time is frozen.

I've been choosing to spend a lot of time alone lately, I just feel like reflection is really necessary for me right now.  I've been thinking a lot about the future, analyzing the different courses I could take, and wondering which one is the right path.  Wondering what is to come, what I can do to prepare, and all the while trying to learn to enjoy the present and find peace within ambiguity.

I've never been a One Direction fan, but they recently came out with a music video that I fell in love with, so I have converted into one of their fans.  (Their lyrics above, and throughout--video below).

I can't imagine the kind of love that someone could have for us, genuine, whole, true.  To have someone love unconditionally and without reserve.  To love someone and to have someone love you without benefit to themselves, no personal gain.  A love that will travel all night for you, not to get points for being a 'good person' or to give you want you want because they think it's what you want to hear, but a genuine, selfless love that they have to make you happy.  To find someone that you wake up to each morning and think, "How incredibly lucky I am"; to see them each day and all you want is to make them happy.  Someone to fight with, and despite the anger feel an unconditional love toward them.  To want to freeze time with them, and yet, to want to continue time for simple essence of building memories and having more time with them.

Do you believe this exists?  I do.  I really do.  I've witnessed people that I think have it.  I've seen the little things that make a couple grow in love.  I called my dad last night, after being faced with one of my strongest fears.  I was pretty shaken up, but a twelve minute conversation with him made me feel so much better.  He's great at confronting me with my problems and then moving on to make me realize the bigger picture.  Toward the end of the conversation, he was telling me that early yesterday morning my mom was listening to a program on the radio.  She made a funny comment about it, which my dad responded with another funny remark.  Needless to say, it led to a fit of laughter shared with each other in bed, ridiculously early in the morning.  Even as he was telling me the story, he started laughing again, remembering the humor in it all.  THAT is the kind of love that makes life worth it.  The little things in life that you can share with someone you think the world of.  The silly, ridiculous, every day matters that add up to a wonderful life.  My dad reminded me that life is so much more than fear, and that the little wonderful things are what you need to hold on to, to get through it all.  That is what is worthy of your attention, because life is too short to not laugh.

And I'll be gone, gone tonight
The fire beneath my feet is burning bright
The way that I've been holding on so tight
With nothing in between.

I've had a hard time with holding on to things too tightly.  I don't know about you, but sometimes I hold on to things too long and miss out on all of the things that could be during the time that passes in between.  The phrase, "hold somebody's feet to the fire" means to cause someone to feel pressure or stress.  Holding on to something so tight to something with nothing in between, meaning you're holding on to nothing, is exactly the cause of so many stresses in life.  I think we all could learn from letting go of things that really aren't in our control, and through that, so much of the stress in our lives would disappear.

So for those of you who have found this unconditional love, do everything you can to nurture it.  Show your appreciation, put your lover first, praise God that He has blessed you with this wonderful person.

For those of you who have not found this in a person, know that God has a plan for you.   I wish I could tell you that it is coming, but I honestly don't know.  All I can do is quote Jeremiah 29:11.  "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  

You write your story.  Don't forget that.  Know that although somethings you can't control, you have the ability to respond in whichever way you choose.  Know your power in that response.

What is the story of your life?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversations from a graveyard

A Passion Like Paul

Deprecation