The Great Divide
Yesterday was a historic day for America. Regardless of what your personal opinions are, we can all agree that yesterday was a historic day. There was loads of hugs, smiles, rainbows, and laughter. There was also loads of disappointment, confusion, fear, and anger. It was really hard to read comments and articles that were spewing with hatred, bigotry, slander, and disrespect.
I think so much of the great divide between the two extremes of opinions is the result of fear. This fear stems from a lack of understanding and a lack of compassion. Many of the comments from religious people against this law come from an inability to understand how someone could be attracted to another of the same sex. Many people whose comments were filled with slashing religious people do not understand how someone could stand for something they believe in when the world is changing and speaking a different message.
I have been really, really struggling trying to figure out what exactly my opinion is. Not just today, but for years I've been studying, asking questions, reading, searching for an answer. The problem is, whoever I ask for advice, I already know their opinion. And their opinion doesn't mean it's right. I want to know the RIGHT answer. I want to know the truth. But after years and years of trying to figure out what I should stand for, I still haven't found an answer. So of course, whenever I am completely at a loss for understanding, I turn to my dad for advice.
I asked him what he though of the legislative law. I've struggled with understanding what the Bible says about it, what is relevant to today, what Jesus would say and do, how this all is seen through God's eyes. I don't want bandwagon Christianity, but I also don't want bigoted Christianity. I want the truth. Sometimes I think, "If God would just straight up tell me what He thinks, I would stand by it." But he hasn't.
Many Christians say that God stated His view in the bible. It confuses me when this is said, because there are things in the bible that are of certain time periods, and things in the bible that are everlasting truths. The Ten Commandments I believe are withstanding truths. Slavery written in the bible I believe were of that time period. Still, I search for answers.
So, as per usual, my dad gave some pretty solid advice. He said that there is no right answer. Everyone will give you their opinion, but it doesn't mean that they are right or wrong. I believe there is a right answer, and I fear that when I face God I don't want to have stood by the wrong answer. I also don't want to be on the fence, a lukewarm, undecided avoider. My dad gave me an analogy: if the speed limit were to change, but we weren't told what it changed to, we wouldn't be given a ticket because we went over. If we aren't told an answer, we can't be accountable. What we can do is go in love and be okay with what we believe right now. That may change down the road as we change and grow, but knowing that our answer is truth for us. Maybe that answer is simply that we don't know right now. He said to continue to grow and explore, surround yourself with all types of people, get to know everyone. Love everyone, and you will find your answer.
I think this is where so many eyes could be opened. When we surround ourselves with friends of all backgrounds, gay, straight, religious, atheist, we find love in all types of places. We learn to understand why people believe what they believe, why people act how they act, and through that we learn compassion.
I waited all day for Mike Donehey to write his blog concerning yesterday's ruling. For those of you that don't know Mike, he is the singer in Tenth Avenue North, and an incredible man. A friend introduced me to him and he has become a spiritual mentor to me through his blogs and videos. He speaks in ways I understand and agree. For those of you interested, I highly suggest reading his blog about this topic:
http://mikedonehey.tumblr.com
I've learned that it's okay not to have the answers. Compassion, understanding, and love is what this world needs. From one extreme to the next, when we seek knowledge from love, we shall find answers.
And for everyone conflicted, everyone bitter, everyone confused from both opinions, we should always remember to love our neighbors as ourselves.
Maybe our next step, like Mike so graciously concludes, is that we put down our megaphones and stop blasting our views at someone else, and instead take the time to listen, to gain understanding, to develop compassion, and to simply love our brothers and sisters. Isn't that what this is all about anyway?
[Excerpt from Mike Donehey's blog: To Hear or Be Heard, adapted]
I felt so powerlessly under-prepared for the conversations that followed. I mean, what do I say? "God hates that you know?“ "You really disgust me man, you should try liking women instead?” Of course not!!! They didn’t need me to tell them they were going to hell. They didn’t need to be told their sin was worse than mine. They had enough condemnation heaped on them to last several lifetimes. You know what they did need though? They needed to be heard. Seen. They needed someone to hug them, cry with them, listen to them. They needed a friend who wouldn’t run in disgust, but run to them with open arms.
Maybe that sounds bizarre to you, but after the friendships I’ve built and the conversations we’ve had, I’m quite convinced when it comes to the deep places of a person’s heart, like their sexual desires, the privilege of speaking to those things is something that must be built with time and trust.
Maybe it has to do with growing up in a Capitalistic society, or maybe it’s just a result of the digital revolution where something can be seen and shared by hundreds of millions of people in a few hours, but either way, I firmly believe it isn’t my calling to steward the morality of mankind. I’m simply called to make disciples. And that, is a down and dirty, one person at a time kind of a calling. It’s small, often times thankless, and it’s not a campaign. It’s a kingdom. Like Paul said, I’m not called to judge the world, I’m called to love the world.
I think so much of the great divide between the two extremes of opinions is the result of fear. This fear stems from a lack of understanding and a lack of compassion. Many of the comments from religious people against this law come from an inability to understand how someone could be attracted to another of the same sex. Many people whose comments were filled with slashing religious people do not understand how someone could stand for something they believe in when the world is changing and speaking a different message.
I have been really, really struggling trying to figure out what exactly my opinion is. Not just today, but for years I've been studying, asking questions, reading, searching for an answer. The problem is, whoever I ask for advice, I already know their opinion. And their opinion doesn't mean it's right. I want to know the RIGHT answer. I want to know the truth. But after years and years of trying to figure out what I should stand for, I still haven't found an answer. So of course, whenever I am completely at a loss for understanding, I turn to my dad for advice.
I asked him what he though of the legislative law. I've struggled with understanding what the Bible says about it, what is relevant to today, what Jesus would say and do, how this all is seen through God's eyes. I don't want bandwagon Christianity, but I also don't want bigoted Christianity. I want the truth. Sometimes I think, "If God would just straight up tell me what He thinks, I would stand by it." But he hasn't.
Many Christians say that God stated His view in the bible. It confuses me when this is said, because there are things in the bible that are of certain time periods, and things in the bible that are everlasting truths. The Ten Commandments I believe are withstanding truths. Slavery written in the bible I believe were of that time period. Still, I search for answers.
So, as per usual, my dad gave some pretty solid advice. He said that there is no right answer. Everyone will give you their opinion, but it doesn't mean that they are right or wrong. I believe there is a right answer, and I fear that when I face God I don't want to have stood by the wrong answer. I also don't want to be on the fence, a lukewarm, undecided avoider. My dad gave me an analogy: if the speed limit were to change, but we weren't told what it changed to, we wouldn't be given a ticket because we went over. If we aren't told an answer, we can't be accountable. What we can do is go in love and be okay with what we believe right now. That may change down the road as we change and grow, but knowing that our answer is truth for us. Maybe that answer is simply that we don't know right now. He said to continue to grow and explore, surround yourself with all types of people, get to know everyone. Love everyone, and you will find your answer.
I think this is where so many eyes could be opened. When we surround ourselves with friends of all backgrounds, gay, straight, religious, atheist, we find love in all types of places. We learn to understand why people believe what they believe, why people act how they act, and through that we learn compassion.
I waited all day for Mike Donehey to write his blog concerning yesterday's ruling. For those of you that don't know Mike, he is the singer in Tenth Avenue North, and an incredible man. A friend introduced me to him and he has become a spiritual mentor to me through his blogs and videos. He speaks in ways I understand and agree. For those of you interested, I highly suggest reading his blog about this topic:
http://mikedonehey.tumblr.com
I've learned that it's okay not to have the answers. Compassion, understanding, and love is what this world needs. From one extreme to the next, when we seek knowledge from love, we shall find answers.
And for everyone conflicted, everyone bitter, everyone confused from both opinions, we should always remember to love our neighbors as ourselves.
Maybe our next step, like Mike so graciously concludes, is that we put down our megaphones and stop blasting our views at someone else, and instead take the time to listen, to gain understanding, to develop compassion, and to simply love our brothers and sisters. Isn't that what this is all about anyway?
[Excerpt from Mike Donehey's blog: To Hear or Be Heard, adapted]
I felt so powerlessly under-prepared for the conversations that followed. I mean, what do I say? "God hates that you know?“ "You really disgust me man, you should try liking women instead?” Of course not!!! They didn’t need me to tell them they were going to hell. They didn’t need to be told their sin was worse than mine. They had enough condemnation heaped on them to last several lifetimes. You know what they did need though? They needed to be heard. Seen. They needed someone to hug them, cry with them, listen to them. They needed a friend who wouldn’t run in disgust, but run to them with open arms.
Maybe that sounds bizarre to you, but after the friendships I’ve built and the conversations we’ve had, I’m quite convinced when it comes to the deep places of a person’s heart, like their sexual desires, the privilege of speaking to those things is something that must be built with time and trust.
Maybe it has to do with growing up in a Capitalistic society, or maybe it’s just a result of the digital revolution where something can be seen and shared by hundreds of millions of people in a few hours, but either way, I firmly believe it isn’t my calling to steward the morality of mankind. I’m simply called to make disciples. And that, is a down and dirty, one person at a time kind of a calling. It’s small, often times thankless, and it’s not a campaign. It’s a kingdom. Like Paul said, I’m not called to judge the world, I’m called to love the world.

Comments
Post a Comment