Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust
I've been trying so hard to put love in a box. Confine it to the image I think it should be: neat, clear, defined. But what if love isn't that way?
What if love is messy?
What if love is undefined?
What if our view of "perfect love" isn't the same as "real love"?
It'll be well after midnight before I post this blog, if I even finish it tonight. There's something about writing early in the morning when everyone is asleep, after a day has gone by and the anticipation of a new one awaits. Full stomach and full head spinning with ideas keeping me from sleep, empty answers robbing me of sleep.
Is there really such thing as unreciprocated love?
So many of us have grown up with Disney movies, romance movies, etc. Girl and guy meet, there's some force keeping them apart, and in the end (a very short struggle, keeping it true movie style) happy ever after comes for the couple. I've never bought into those movies. I'm a huge fan of Disney, not for the romance, but for the possibilities. For the hope, for the idea, for the magic, for the very insight Walt Disney had when he said: That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up...they forget.
We tend to become more cynical as we age, thinking love doesn't last, doubting love will ever come, believing the lie that we are not worth loving...that something is inherently wrong with us...that we are unfixable...that we are too different. As we age, we forget the promise we are told as children: that we will always be loved. Why do we lose this innocence? What in our world makes us stray from this youth?
For some inherent reason, I believe in unending, beautiful love. On this earth, that doesn't mean perfect. That means working hard at a relationship, that means putting someone else before you Every. Single. Day. It means action, it means discipline, it means admitting you won't be perfect, and forgiving yourself and your love daily.
I always thought love couldn't be real if it wasn't reciprocated. Can you really be in love if someone doesn't feel the same way? That isn't perfect love, but does it make it any less real?
I don't have the answers. I fear the idea of a one way love. I think it's because we are made in love, from love; to love and be loved.
There is no fear in love. But perfect love casts out fear.
We were made in perfect love. We can experience it now, not for what we have done, but what He has done. So when we fear the "what ifs" of life, the unknowns, the broken hearts, the inevitable conversations that can bring us so much heartache, we know that there is one who loves us [not despite who we are] but BECAUSE of who He is.
To be loved no matter what:
Through the good and bad days
Messy hair
Broken promises
Silent questions
Crazy dancing
Selfish lies
Fearful doubts
Genuine forgiveness
Honest prayer
My own concept of prayer is not a plea for special favors, nor as a quick palliation for wrongs knowingly committed. A prayer, it seems to me, implies a promise as well as a request; at the highest level, prayer not only is supplication for strength and guidance, but also becomes an affirmation of life and thus a reverent praise of God. ~Walt Disney
Maybe Walt Disney had it right, all we need is faith, trust, and a little pixie dust.
What if love is messy?
What if love is undefined?
What if our view of "perfect love" isn't the same as "real love"?
It'll be well after midnight before I post this blog, if I even finish it tonight. There's something about writing early in the morning when everyone is asleep, after a day has gone by and the anticipation of a new one awaits. Full stomach and full head spinning with ideas keeping me from sleep, empty answers robbing me of sleep.
Is there really such thing as unreciprocated love?
So many of us have grown up with Disney movies, romance movies, etc. Girl and guy meet, there's some force keeping them apart, and in the end (a very short struggle, keeping it true movie style) happy ever after comes for the couple. I've never bought into those movies. I'm a huge fan of Disney, not for the romance, but for the possibilities. For the hope, for the idea, for the magic, for the very insight Walt Disney had when he said: That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up...they forget.
We tend to become more cynical as we age, thinking love doesn't last, doubting love will ever come, believing the lie that we are not worth loving...that something is inherently wrong with us...that we are unfixable...that we are too different. As we age, we forget the promise we are told as children: that we will always be loved. Why do we lose this innocence? What in our world makes us stray from this youth?
For some inherent reason, I believe in unending, beautiful love. On this earth, that doesn't mean perfect. That means working hard at a relationship, that means putting someone else before you Every. Single. Day. It means action, it means discipline, it means admitting you won't be perfect, and forgiving yourself and your love daily.
I always thought love couldn't be real if it wasn't reciprocated. Can you really be in love if someone doesn't feel the same way? That isn't perfect love, but does it make it any less real?
I don't have the answers. I fear the idea of a one way love. I think it's because we are made in love, from love; to love and be loved.
There is no fear in love. But perfect love casts out fear.
We were made in perfect love. We can experience it now, not for what we have done, but what He has done. So when we fear the "what ifs" of life, the unknowns, the broken hearts, the inevitable conversations that can bring us so much heartache, we know that there is one who loves us [not despite who we are] but BECAUSE of who He is.
To be loved no matter what:
Through the good and bad days
Messy hair
Broken promises
Silent questions
Crazy dancing
Selfish lies
Fearful doubts
Genuine forgiveness
Honest prayer
My own concept of prayer is not a plea for special favors, nor as a quick palliation for wrongs knowingly committed. A prayer, it seems to me, implies a promise as well as a request; at the highest level, prayer not only is supplication for strength and guidance, but also becomes an affirmation of life and thus a reverent praise of God. ~Walt Disney
Maybe Walt Disney had it right, all we need is faith, trust, and a little pixie dust.
Comments
Post a Comment