Choosing Physical Therapy
There are times that I go back and forth, wondering if I chose the right profession to study. I think about how I had originally planned on medical school and wonder if I should have pursued that route. There are times when I hear what students in that program are doing and I get so excited for them, simultaneously feeling left out. My mind wanders and I think about whether or not I would be able to succeed, desiring the challenge of the task at hand, and reflecting on how much I loved (and learned from) neuro, contemplating if I would have felt that way for other classes.
But then I have days like today.
Sitting in class, discussing why we do what we do. Talking about the passions that drive physical therapists to serve, spending entire sessions one-on-one with patients, determining pathologies, understanding musculoskeletal disorders, promoting physical activity, and specializing in both inspiring and providing the tools to help patients live optimally. I look around at my classmates and see how much passion they have for serving, how much love they have for learning, and how much support and love they have for each other. I've never met a class where group projects actually mean everyone helps out, where notes/study tools and encouragement are so freely given -- a group of students that truly want to see each other succeed and will help in whatever way to make that happen.
It warms my heart to think about the wonderful physical therapists that are soon to be out in clinic--brilliant (and many times so brilliant it's intimidating!) students that have a natural inclination on how to make patients feel comfortable and heard. Crazy inspiring classmates that run marathon after marathon, hold down a job during such stressful times, volunteer at various events despite busy schedules, balancing families, going on mission trips, getting up early almost every day to study or workout, whatever the case may be...passion pushing limits.
It's days like today when I am so grateful I chose this field. So grateful for the incredible, intensity of the program - for all the knowledge that has somehow made it into my brain and all the friendship that have developed.
Sometimes we might question why we're here, where we're going, and what we're doing, but it's times like this where one must step back and reflect, remembering the heart of one's profession and then stepping forward in confidence, trusting that we're exactly where we're supposed to be.
But then I have days like today.
Sitting in class, discussing why we do what we do. Talking about the passions that drive physical therapists to serve, spending entire sessions one-on-one with patients, determining pathologies, understanding musculoskeletal disorders, promoting physical activity, and specializing in both inspiring and providing the tools to help patients live optimally. I look around at my classmates and see how much passion they have for serving, how much love they have for learning, and how much support and love they have for each other. I've never met a class where group projects actually mean everyone helps out, where notes/study tools and encouragement are so freely given -- a group of students that truly want to see each other succeed and will help in whatever way to make that happen.
It warms my heart to think about the wonderful physical therapists that are soon to be out in clinic--brilliant (and many times so brilliant it's intimidating!) students that have a natural inclination on how to make patients feel comfortable and heard. Crazy inspiring classmates that run marathon after marathon, hold down a job during such stressful times, volunteer at various events despite busy schedules, balancing families, going on mission trips, getting up early almost every day to study or workout, whatever the case may be...passion pushing limits.
It's days like today when I am so grateful I chose this field. So grateful for the incredible, intensity of the program - for all the knowledge that has somehow made it into my brain and all the friendship that have developed.
Sometimes we might question why we're here, where we're going, and what we're doing, but it's times like this where one must step back and reflect, remembering the heart of one's profession and then stepping forward in confidence, trusting that we're exactly where we're supposed to be.
Comments
Post a Comment