Things I've Learned Part 3

I've learned a fair few bit of information since January; here's just a little taste of my random life lessons:

1. I learned there is such thing as scented toilet paper...is this what I've been missing by not living in the city?  (By the way, my bathroom currently smells like a lavender field.)

2. I learned that I feel like Cinderella every time I take out the trash--except the rats and pigeons scurrying around the dumpsters have yet to sing with me, or make me a dress.

3.  I learned that when you tell your friends you're going to be an adult and stop wearing only leggings/athletic gear, wearing scrubs the next day is (apparently) not an improvement.

4. I learned that my geekiness hit a new level, as my idea of an exciting Monday is having "trivia time" in neuro lab: when you take turns with your two lab partners pointing out structures and trying to beat each other in naming them first.  It's an insane adrenaline rush (which, by the way, is caused by tyrosine changing into dopamine via the adrenal glands.  Dopamine then transforms into noradrenaline (through oxygenation) which is converted into adrenaline...exciting stuff, no?)

5. I learned that I need to make my study time more efficient, i.e. stop researching the chemical structure of tyrosine and phentolamine when it's not on the test, stop questioning the chemical mechanism behind beta blockers when it's not relevant to your current exam, stop reviewing the differences between Monet and Manet when you have no excuse as to why you want to remember this.

6. I learned that "balance" does not mean eating almost an entire 1/2 pint of ice cream and then walking 10 miles to burn off the calories (and the guilt!)

7. I learned that my friends have great life stories to make me feel better about not having a lot of time or energy to workout.  For example, "This one time I pulled out my yoga mat, but was too lazy to put in the workout DVD, so I did three yoga poses and then laid down on the mat and played with my cat.  It was kind of a low point for me." (Thanks B)

8. Do not put a shot glass filled with syrup in your pocket even if you think you're stable enough to keep it upright.  You're not.

9. Never go to Target on a Saturday.  You always end up at Target on a Saturday.

10.  I learned that comparison is lethal.  I also learned that the people surrounding you will not only help you stay above water, but will show you just how wonderful differences in strengths can be and will remind you of yours.

11. I learned that one of the best parts of living in the city is having an entire compartment of the green line help the lost man and his wife find their way to the airport, even though you're all about as directionally efficient as a compass surrounded by magnets.

12.  I learned that grad school really is like college part two, except the dorm rooms are upgraded to apartments, you can have cats, and every week feels like finals week.

13.  I learned that every season of life comes with it's own challenges, but when you have so many loving people surrounding you, those challenges aren't fought alone.

14.  I learned that it's that point in the year when everyone has spent so much time together, there appears to be no boundary as to what you share with each other.  For example, more of your classmates start changing in class because they're also too lazy to walk down the hall and use the locker room. Does this mean "family status" has been reached?

15.  Ditto for when your classmate tells you he's got the 'nervous poops' before an exam.

16.  Ditto when you find out wearing a "fancy bra" really just means anything other than a sports bra.

17.  Ditto when "dressing up" means wearing jeans instead of spandex to class.

18.  And to wrap up with a little bit of sentiment, I learned that you will constantly be challenged to re-examine and refocus on your beliefs and opinions, and that's not always a bad thing.  Sometimes, you surprise yourself.  Sometimes, just sometimes, it feels nice not to have a checklist or a planner or everyone else's opinion being shouted in your ear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversations from a graveyard

A Passion Like Paul

Deprecation