For Emily


Dear Emily

You taught me that reaching for external validation will always leave you empty and broken.  You challenged my thoughts, you questioned my beliefs.  You gave me the blessing to nourish without guilt.  You showed me that taking care of myself wasn't selfish.  You showed me what to look for in life, and you showed me that I'm already there.

You taught me that vulnerability is beautiful.

You allowed me to reach for goals but taught me that they do not define me.  In fact, you taught me that no one defines me.  You let me see that the world wouldn't shake if I didn't achieve perfection.  You gave me the freedom to seek life without constant belittlement.  You reminded me that we are all beautifully made, and when I rolled my eyes and pointed out your genericism, you pointed out my cynicism.

You reminded me that we were meant for freedom.

You taught me that people who need you are all around and everything I have discovered through you has purpose: for me to bring them to you.  They are friends, colleagues, classmates, relatives, strangers, passerbyers on the street.

You forced me to listen to you when I was anxious, you made me watch you when I tried to avoid you, you showed me to accept grace when I believed myself to be contemptible.  You taught me that the mind is the most powerful, formidable gift capable of both action and defeat...adroit manipulation in both the positive and negative sense.  Most of all, you taught me that I don't have to agree with someone else, and I don't have to change to make someone else happy.

You taught me to be unapologetic in what I stand for.  You taught me to embrace what I have been given and never shy away from my conviction to Christ.

I hope that those who need you find you, and those that don't need you never will.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversations from a graveyard

A Passion Like Paul

Deprecation